1. PROJECT BACKGROUND
Pro-Femmes/ Twese Hamwe in partnership with Trade Mark East Africa is implementing the Greater Inclusion of Women in Trade (GIWT) project (2019-2023) with the aim of improving the social economic empowerment of women in informal cross border trade, improve trade environment, cooperative governance and management, enhance prevention and response to gender based violence and women’s rights promotion and advocacy.
2. Project Outcome and Objectives
2.1. Outcome:Improved socio-economic empowerment of women traders in Rwanda
2.2. Objectives :
a) Strengthen capacity for women traders in advocacy, representation, influencing reforms and improve business environment in term of policy, regulatory and institutional reforms in Rwanda
b) Increase market participation, value, volume,quality standard of goods, price negotiation, market linkages, business development and Cooperative governance and management ;
c) Increase awareness of women’s rights & obligations, prevent and response to gender-basedviolence and harassment of targeted women cross border traders
3. Key target group and area of coverage
• The project will be targeting women in cross border trade and border officials
• Project will be focusing on the borders located in Rusizi, Rubavu, Burera, Gicumbi, Nyagatare, Kirehe and Bugesera districts.
4. Project pathway of change approaches
If,women in trade:Have knowledge and understanding on cooperative governance, trading regulations, capacity to negotiate prices and meet standards, Access finances, have stronger market linkages and ability to represent and influence reforms and conducive business environment.
Then,women in trade haveStrengthened capacity inrepresentation, influencing reforms, improved capacity in cooperative governance and management, access to market and trading information,linkages and awareness on rights and obligations of WCBTs
And then, women in trade haveContributed to Improved trade regulations and environment, Increased market participation, value, volume and meet quality standards and Enhanced prevention and response to violence and harassments,
Because,we assume thatOnce women traders are capacited, they will use their knowledge and skills to access market and finance , add value, increase volume, quality and meet standards of traded goods and services as well as once capacitated, women traders will use their knowledge and skills to create space and engage duty bearers to act upon their needs and influence the reforms related to improved trade environment and their rights, and use their knowledge and skills to denounce, report and use available services offered to GBV victims as well their status and lives will be socially and economically improved.
5. Key project interventions / activities
1. Develop distribution channels and supply from district to district /cooperative to cooperative through mapping of buyers and sellers of traded commodities ;
2. Promote and work closely with cooperatives on governance, finance management and business development and market participation, access to finance andlinkages and raise awareness for WCBT on using mobile platforms and report Gender based violence cases ;
3. Organize learning tours in various established plants for WCBT cooperatives having similar businesses and assist Women traders to participate in Trade fairs and exhibitions to promote their products and market space
4. Promote EAC trading regulations and requirements and women’s rights and Obligations and influence reforms and creation of space of dialogue ;
5. Establishment of help desk information for WCBT in the 3 selected borders (Rusizi, Rubavu and Cyanika-Burera).